Satisfy Your Cravings with this Classic, Creamy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Beef Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish that has gained immense popularity all around the world. It is a hearty and comforting dish made with tender strips of beef, sautéed mushrooms, onions, and a sour cream-based sauce. This dish is typically served with egg noodles or rice, making it a perfect comfort food for any occasion.
The first step to making Beef Stroganoff is to select a high-quality cut of beef. I personally recommend using either sirloin or tenderloin steak, which is both tender and flavorful. Cut the beef into thin strips, about 1/2 inch in thickness, and season it with salt and pepper.
Next, you’ll want to sauté some mushrooms and onions until they are tender and golden brown. This will add an earthy and savory flavor to the dish. Once the mushrooms and onions are cooked, remove them from the pan and set them aside.
In the same pan, add a bit more oil and brown the beef strips on all sides. Be careful not to overcook the beef, as it will become tough and chewy. Once the beef is browned, remove it from the pan and set it aside with the mushrooms and onions.
To make the sauce, you’ll need sour cream, beef broth, and Dijon mustard. Mix these ingredients together in a bowl, and then pour the mixture into the same pan you used to cook the beef. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
Finally, add the cooked beef, mushrooms, and onions back into the pan with the sauce. Stir everything together until the beef is coated in the creamy sauce, and the mushrooms and onions are evenly distributed throughout. Serve hot over egg noodles or rice.
Beef Stroganoff is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your tastes. Some people like to add a splash of Worcestershire sauce to the sauce for an extra kick of flavor. Others like to add a bit of paprika to the beef to give it a smoky flavor. No matter how you choose to make it, Beef Stroganoff is a delicious and comforting dish that is sure to please.
- 1 lb. Beef, sirloin steak or tenderloin thinly sliced
- 1 Onion chopped
- 8 oz. Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup Sour cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Egg noodles for serving
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef slices and cook until browned on both sides, about 5-6 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.1 lb. Beef, sirloin steak or tenderloin, 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- In the same skillet, add the butter, onions, and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are soft and the mushrooms have released their moisture, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.1 Onion, 8 oz. Mushrooms, 2 tbsp Butter, 2 cloves Garlic
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and mushroom mixture, and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the flour is lightly browned.2 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- Gradually pour in the beef broth, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Add the Dijon mustard and stir to combine.2 cups Beef Broth, 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Return the beef to the skillet and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the beef is cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sour cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.½ cup Sour cream, Salt and Pepper
- Serve the beef stroganoff over cooked egg noodles or rice. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.Egg noodles, Chopped parsley